The Best Vitamins For Brain
Health is the most important thing in life. This includes health of our brain – one of the vital organs in our body that is crucial for our optimal daily performance. Vitamins for brain are necessary to maintain a healthy brain.
What to do if you notice your brain is not functioning properly? Maybe the problem hides in your diet. Diet of an average person that consists mostly of precessed foods, does not meet daily requirements for the vitamins that body needs. One of the studies even showed that 40 – 60 percent of adults are not getting enough vitamins trough their diet.
Suboptimal brain functioning from vitamin deficiency is usually subtle and goes undetected for a long time. Changes in a diet can improve the problem, but often just a healthy diet is not enough to supply the brain with all the vitamins it needs. In this case adding supplements for brain is an option that can help to maintain brain healthy, prevent possible damage caused by free radicals or stress and improve memory and cognitive performance.
Some of the best vitamins for brain, that can help preserve and improve your intellectual and emotional health are:
1. B Vitamins are especially important in preserving aging brains, protecting against memory loss and brain diseases. The most important vitamins for brain from this group are vitamins B6, B12 and B9 (Folic Acid). They protect neurons in brain, improve memory, help in brain development and are very important for people under stress. B vitamins can be found in vegetables such as spinach and other dark leafy green vegetables, broccoli, asparagus, black beans, soybeans, fruits such as strawberries, melons, oranges, meat, fish, cereals, algae such as Spirulina and are often taken as supplements.
· Folic acid improves memory, alertness, cognition and protects brain from excessive amino acid homocystein, that can damage brain cells. Low levels of folic acid can increase risk of depression. It is found in spinach, broccoli, bananas, strawberries, whole wheat bread, asparagus, peas and in supplements.
· Vitamin B12 helps maintain health of nerve cells, increases mental alertness, protects against some mental problems such as depression, prevents senility, memory loss and enhances brain power.
· Vitamin B6 helps to improve memory.
2. Antioxidants protect brain tissue from free radicals that can damage brain structures. Vitamins C and E are one of the most important antioxidants for brain. The best foods rich in antioxidants are prunes, blueberries and other berries, garlic, raisins and spinach. You can also find them in green tea, nuts, seeds and in supplements. Multivitamins that include vitamins C, B complex and E are one of popular choices.
· Vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects brain and nerve cells against damage caused by free radicals. It is a powerful vitamin that can protect against Alzheimer’s disease delay its progress. If boosts blood circulation that influences good brain functioning.You can find it in cereals, vegetable oils, vegetables, nuts, grains and different supplements.
· Vitamin Cis another antioxidant that protects against free radicals that can damage brain cells. You can find it in fruits such as lemons, oranges, grapefruits, berries or kiwi, vegetables such as legumes, chili and in supplements.
3. Other vitamins for brain that improve its functioning and vitality are:
· Vitamin D protects pathways in the brain and improves memory. One of the studies also showed that there is a link between vitamin D deficiency and depression in older people. The best way to receive daily dose of vitamin D is by exposure to the sunlight and by taking supplements.
· Vitamin A enhances the ability to learn by improving communication between brain cells in the hippocampus- part of the brain associated with memory and learning. It is also needed in development of the nervous system in an embryo. You can find it in carrots, spinach, egg yolks, cantaloupe, liver and in supplements.
Brain also requires other nutrients besides vitamins. Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the essential nutrients for brain, found in fish, walnuts, flax seed oil and are often taken as supplements. They protect brain cells from inflammation, improve memory, moodiness, brain functions and even influence IQ in children.
These findings show that you have to eat right for the optimal brain performance. Look into your diet to find out if you consume enough of the vitamins for brain and omega-3 fatty acids. If your diet consists mostly of processed foods like white flour, sweets and pre-prepared meals, there is a good chance that you do not get all the nutrients you need. In this case try to include more fruits, vegetables and fish (at least 2-3 times per week) on your menu or consider taking supplements for brain to keep it healthy and fit for a long time.